When it comes to cannabidiol (CBD) it is a little difficult to determine how much to take. Since it doesn’t produce any psychoactive effects, much of the dosages are merely suggestive. You can go by body weight or medical need, either way; it’s about finding a dose that makes you feel better. Using too much may upset your stomach, make you too active or too sleepy, or might just be too rich for your body.
It may take a little trial and error, but it’s worth experimenting a little to ensure that you’re giving your body the cannabinoids it needs to stay properly regulated. Below we’ll provide some dosing suggestions based upon both medical need, manufacturer suggestion, body weight and ingestion type.
Dosing by Body Weight
In terms of body weight, as with several pharmaceuticals, people of different sizes require different doses. A larger body often needs a larger dose to reach optimum performance or balance. Cannabis also comes with tolerance development, even with just cannabidiol. So, if you’ve used CBD products for a while, you may need a little more.
Tip to reset your body: If you find that you have to use larger doses or use CBD more frequently, you can reset your body. Refrain from using any cannabis products for 48 hours, because even THC strains contain cannabinoids.
Simple guide by body weight:
- Children weighing 2 – 25lbs: 4.5mg daily for mild conditions up to 9mg daily for severe conditions
- Children weighing 26 – 45lbs: 6mg daily for mild conditions up to 12mg daily for severe conditions
- Children weighing 46 – 85lbs: 9mg daily for mild conditions up to 15mg daily for severe conditions
- Teens and adults weighing 86 – 150lbs: 12mg daily for mild conditions up to 18mg daily for severe conditions
- Teens and adults weighing 151 to 240lbs: 18mg daily for mild conditions up to 27mg daily for severe conditions
- Teens and adults weighing over 241lbs: 22.5mg daily for mild conditions up to 45mg daily for severe conditions
CBD products come in different forms. It is easier to measure the suggested doses above when using CBD oil. Keep in mind that severe health conditions such as severe chronic pain, severe autism and severe epilepsy (as examples) may require larger doses multiple times a day.
Dosing by Medical Need
There are dozens of health conditions that may improve by introducing CBD. In some cases, symptoms disappear completely. There are medical conditions where symptom severity ranges or changes. This makes it difficult to determine an ideal dose, so on good days – use a little less or a minimal dose. On a bad day, it’s okay to double up on your doses and even make each dose a little bigger. It won’t hurt you.
- General health: 4mg to 25mg daily
- Minor arthritis: 10mg to 50mg daily
- Chronic pain and/or spasms: 25mg to 200mg daily depending on severity
- Epilepsy: This dose completely varies but patients with severe epilepsy may take up to 200mg of CBD daily to be seizure free. Less severe epilepsy may only require 25mg to 40mg daily.
- Sleep: 40mg to 160mg daily – for severe insomnia, the entourage effect may work better (will explain below in the CBD/THC ratio section)
- Nausea: 10mg to 25mg on average
- Anxiety/PTSD: This varies depending on severity. Start with a small, 10mg dose daily. Increase by 5 to 10mg to determine optimal relief dose. Some may require more than 100mg CBD daily to be successful in relieving anxiety and/or PTSD
The above are simple suggestions based upon the most common conditions approved by states for legal medical cannabis programs. Depending on your specific needs, you may require more or less of these suggested doses.
Dosing by Manufacturer Suggestion
Manufacturers offer dosages on their labels. It is a good idea to start with their suggestion and adjust as needed. For example, if you are using a CBD tincture (drops), 1 drop is 1mg and the suggested dose is often 10mg, so you would administer 10 drops under the tongue. With tinctures, hold the liquid under the tongue for at least 30 seconds and as long as 2 minutes as the CBD is absorbed sublingually and begins working faster.
In terms of CBD capsules, most are made in 25mg capsules. It is a common suggestion to take 1 to 2 capsules daily, based upon medical need. If you need more, you can take more. Some CBD capsules also include other supplements to promote overall well-being and boost your immune system. Always read the label to make sure you’re not giving your body too much of other supplements. Capsules need to digest so it takes up to an hour for them to start working before you’ll notice a change or improvement in your health condition.
In regards to CBD vape products – it’s all on you to determine how many puffs work best for you. It is also okay to microdose multiple times per day as the vape does work fast to improve your condition. On average, 3 – 5 puffs a few times a day tends to work well.
Some medical conditions require the “entourage effect” to notice improvement. This is a combination of THC and CBD but in varying ratios. Again, there are suggestions for doses but your body will let you know if the suggested ratio is enough, too much or not enough.
For seizure disorders, as an example, a ratio of 10:1, with CBD being the 10 is ideal. Don’t be afraid of the THC component. Using CBD with THC reduces much of the psychoactive (in some cases all) effects the THC may produce.
For those with chronic pain, spasms, insomnia and even anxiety, a 1:1 ratio may be needed.
With most health conditions, it is ideal to include CBD because it works to help your body take in the cannabinoids its lacking. A THC only medical cannabis plan is likely to leave your body lacking the relief it can achieve because not all THC strains are rich in CBD, in fact, in many strains, the CBD content is minimal.
While we wish there were concrete answers, every body reacts differently and has different needs. This means that you have to do a little legwork and a little experimenting to find your perfect dose. Not all health conditions require the “entourage effect” so, CBD may be the only thing you need to achieve relief. If you are giving CBD to a child, it is ideal to only increase doses by a little at a time – such as add 1mg and evaluate after an hour and repeat.
If you have questions regarding finding your ideal CBD dose, please don’t hesitate to ask us!